Monday, May 23, 2011

My Secret Shame... I May Actually Enjoy Hiking

Squirrel Highway

After a brief overnight in Vegas, Brandon and I have been hitting up some national parks in Utah. First up was Zion National Park (which I'm slightly ashamed to say I had never even heard of before), which was Awesomely Beautiful!  It also featured non-trivial amounts of overly-aggressive squirrels (as pictured above, courtesy of Brandon).

What I don't get is, even despite the signs that say "Don't Feed the Animals", who actually feeds the squirrels??  Sadly, many white trash families feeding these things Cheetos were in evidence.  Gross.

After a day and a half in Zion, we headed to Bryce Canyon, home of the famous hoodoos.  I know I'm starting to sound trite here, but man-- talk about some amazing nature or whatever!!

By my count, I've hiked over 17 miles in the past two days, so despite my previous life-long stance on the issue, I think this must mean I'm actually a fan of hiking. Thing is-- I think I've figured out the Betsy-approved way to enjoy hiking:  jamming out to my This American Life podcasts.  That way you're antisocial enough that no one wants to talk to you, and hopefully distracted enough to forget that you're exercising, but still able to take in 100% of the sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment